Truth At Work Seminar With Certification Option
GET CERTIFIED in Truth at Work: The Science of Delivering Tough Messages
New York Times bestselling author Mark Murphy returns, with the latest science and techniques for delivering tough messages without causing anger or defensiveness.
Everyone has encountered the frustration and difficulty of getting people to hear and understand the truth. But the greatest workplaces have one thing in common; they speak the truth! And they do it without causing anger, resentment, or defensiveness. Unfortunately, a whopping 80-90% of people are reluctant, or struggle, to speak the truth.
New York Times bestselling author Mark Murphy provides the science and tools for calmly and rationally leading people to question their preconceptions, accept new information, and embrace even the toughest messages.
In this training you'll learn:
- How to deliver the toughest messages without causing defensiveness or anger
- Create a culture of truth, candor, trust, resilience and accountability
- How psychological phenomena like cognitive dissonance and the Dunning-Kruger effect cause people to deny, resist or attack the truth
- How Structured Listening helps you calmly and logically control volatile conversations
- The 7 phrases that make people defensive (and what you should say instead)
- Tackle “taboo topics” and “sacred cows” without bruising egos or starting turf wars
- Manage the personalities who drag their feet, play politics, and are passive-aggressive
- Resolve disagreements fully to increase buy-in and commitment
- Foster real teamwork, make smarter decisions, spark innovation, and solve problems more quickly
This program has two options...
- You can attend the 2-day seminar during which you'll learn the techniques for delivering tough messages.
- OR you can attend the 2-day seminar PLUS the third day during which you'll get CERTIFIED to deliver Truth At Work trainings to others.
HOW CERTIFICATION WORKS
What does it mean to get certified?
Being certified in Truth At Work means that you can teach the training course to others in your organization. This means that you don’t have to hire outside trainers to come into your company to teach the science of delivering tough messages, you can own the training process yourself. And you can tell others (on your resume, LinkedIn, etc.) that you are Officially Certified to teach this content. This is a great way to enhance your career standing and personal reputation!
Can I teach the content however I want?
YES, you can teach the content however you want. Unlike other certification programs, you can teach 1-hour sessions on Truth At Work, or 2-hour sessions, or half-day, or full-day or two-day or whatever you want. You may want to give your executives a 90-minute overview and then give a group of key leaders a full day session. Or give frontline employees a half-day session.
How does the certification process work?
First you attend the 3-Day Course so you can master the core content and learn how to teach it most effectively. After that, you’re officially certified! But we’re not done helping you: After you’ve gotten trained, you will then have a conference call with Mark Murphy personally to plan out your trainings, how to deliver them, formats and more. Mark will give you his best practices so you can ‘wow’ your audiences and create breakthrough change! And then, you’re part of our network, so we’ll be on call to help you further refine and develop your delivery of the Truth At Work content. And of course, you’ll be part of the select Inner Circle that gets all of our latest tools, assessments and research before anyone else.
Can independent consultants get certified?
YES! Unlike other certification courses, you can get certified in Truth At Work and then sell training sessions to your clients. There is a slightly higher fee for consultants, so see the pricing section below.
There are NO additional fees when you train people.
Unlike other certification programs, you can train as many people as you want every year without having to pay a per-participant fee to buy materials or anything else. When you get certified with us, you pay one annual license fee and that covers all of the training you do for that year. So you can train dozens or hundreds of people and there are literally NO extra fees.
Pricing for Internal Trainers
The 2-Day Course, which teaches you the science of delivering tough messages, is $1295. THEN, if you want to add the third day, and become Certified To Teach Others At Your Organization this content, there’s an extra fee of $3700 which includes a 1-year license for you to train as many people in your company as you want. There are no additional per-person fees for the people who attend your sessions (like most other certification programs). If you train 20 or 200 people, in short sessions or long ones, there are NO additional per-participant fees. After the first year, you can simply pay an additional license fee of $3,000 per year and keep training as many people as you want!
Pricing for Independent Consultants
The 2-Day Course, which teaches you the science of delivering tough messages, is $1295. THEN, if you’re an independent consultant, and you want to become Certified To Teach Other Companies this content, there’s an extra fee of $5700 which includes a 1-year license for you to train as many people at other companies as you want. There are no additional per-person fees for the people who attend your sessions (like most other certification programs). If you train 20 or 200 people, in short sessions or long ones, there are NO additional per-participant fees. After the first year, you can simply pay an additional license fee of $5,000 per year and keep training as many people at other companies as you want!
Is this certification for ME or my whole company?
This certification is just for you. If other internal trainers or consultants at your company want to get certified, they will also need to go through the certification process.
What materials do I get?
You get all of the training materials electronically, including slides, handouts, exercises and video vignettes. This way you can pick and choose which slides, handouts, exercises and videos you want to use for particular training sessions. And you are free to make copies of all the slides, handouts and exercises for each of your training sessions.
DAY ONE: THE COURSE
Module 1: Understand the Truth-Killers (or Why We Resist The Truth)
- Discover the biggest reasons why people fail to accept the truth
- Confident Unawareness (and the Dunning-Kruger Effect)
Module 2: Focus On The Facts
- Learn how every conversation has four layers: Facts, Interpretations, Reactions and Ends (the FIRE Model)
- How to drop all the interpretations, reactions, and ends (IRE, the emotional baggage, judgment, and negativity) to focus on the facts
- How ‘trigger words’ (like ‘always,’ ‘never,’ ‘forever,’ ‘impossible’ and ‘constantly’) can ruin Truth Talks
Module 3: Take Their Perspective
- Discover the science of Perspective-Taking
- How to climb inside your truth partner’s mind and see the situation from their perspective
- How Perspective-Taking has led to others liking us 19% more and feeling 78% more empathy towards us
Module 4: Set Your Goals
- How 3 bad goals ruin difficult conversations
- I Want An Apology.
- Admit You Were Wrong.
- Feel Bad For What You Did
- Discover the 6 Months Later Technique (and the science of Temporal Distancing) to reduce negative emotions and make tough conversations more productive
DAY TWO: THE COURSE (CONT.)
Module 5: Start A Conversation, Not A Confrontation
- How to use the 5-Step I.D.E.A.S. script to immediately get others to lower their defensiveness and join you in having a true dialogue
- I: Invite them to partner
- D: Disarm yourself
- E: Eliminate blame
- A: Affirm their control
- S: Set a time limit
- How the Power Of Questions helps you discover the source of other people’s resistance
Module 6: Create A Word Picture
- Why it’s impossible to have tough conversations when everyone has a different definition of the truth
- The science of creating Word Pictures; a tripartite definition that transforms abstract concepts into concrete examples that anyone can understand
Module 7: Listen With Structure
- Why Structured Listening is so much more powerful than older techniques like active listening
- The 3-Steps to effective Structured Listening: Eliciting, Listening and Confirming
- 7 Bad Phrases that tell others “we’re not listening” including: “Griping about it won’t make it better” and “Maybe it's a blessing in disguise” and “Don't worry; you’ll get over it”
- Take the Test “Do You Listen With Empathy?”
Module 8: Share The Facts
- How to turn backward-looking conversations into Forward-Looking Conversations
- How to overcome The Softness Problem, including The Compliment Sandwich, Shirking and Advice
- How to overcome The Toughness Problem, including Blaming and Cocksureness.
- How to speak the truth when you DO and DON’T have formal power (e.g. you’re the Subordinate, Colleague or Boss)
DAY THREE: TRAINER CERTIFICATION
How to deliver the Truth At Work Course in multiple formats
- 1-2 Hours
- Practice delivering the training
- How to conduct exercises and breakouts
- How to apply Truth At Work concepts to real-life organizational challenges, like conflict, change management, innovation, accountability and more
- Test of core content knowledge
DATES & LOCATIONS
2-DAYS: JUST TRAINING
August 15, 16
The Metropolitan Club
3-DAYS: TRAINING PLUS CERTIFICATION
August 15, 16, 17
The Metropolitan Club
2-DAYS: JUST TRAINING
September 26, 27
The Commerce Club
3-DAYS: TRAINING PLUS CERTIFICATION
September 26, 27, 28
The Commerce Club
The seminar will have continental breakfast and lunch each day. Hotel accommodations, if necessary, are the responsibility of each participant.
Mark Murphy, Founder and CEO of Leadership IQ.
Through his groundbreaking research, Mark Murphy has created some of the biggest ideas in leadership. He’s a New York Times bestselling author, weekly contributor to Forbes, and ranked as a Top 30 Leadership Guru. With a reputation for brilliant, yet immediately actionable, insights about leadership, he’s lectured at the United Nations, Harvard Business School, the Clinton Foundation, Microsoft, MasterCard, SHRM, and hundreds more organizations.
His leadership techniques and research have been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Harvard Business Review, Inc., CNBC, CBS MarketWatch, Fortune, Forbes, Business Week, U.S. News & World Report, The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times and more. He has also appeared on ABC’s 20/20, CBS News, Fox Business News, CNN and NPR.
Mark has lectured at...