The greatest workplaces have one thing in common; they speak the truth without causing anger, resentment, or defensiveness. Unfortunately, a whopping 80-90% of people are reluctant, or struggle, to speak the truth.
In this exciting program, New York Times bestselling author Mark Murphy provides the science and tools for calmly and rationally leading people to speak the truth, accept new information, and embrace even the toughest messages.
This session delivers the latest science and techniques for delivering tough messages to employees, coworkers, bosses and customers without causing anger, resentment or defensiveness.
THIS PROGRAM PERSONALLY TAUGHT BY THE AUTHOR OF THE GROUNDBREAKING BOOK "TRUTH AT WORK"! Rated one of the TOP 10 Leadership Development Companies in the world!
THIS CUSTOMIZED ONSITE PROGRAM IS FOR ANYONE WHO HAS TO COMMUNICATE AND DELIVER TOUGH MESSAGES to employees, coworkers, bosses and customers!
WE CUSTOMIZE EVERY ASPECT OF THE PROGRAM, FROM THE DURATION TO THE CONTENT, TO MEET YOUR EXACT NEEDS!
THE FOLLOWING IS A SAMPLE AGENDA FOR A 1-DAY PROGRAM. BUT THIS PROGRAM CAN BE MODIFIED AND CUSTOMIZED TO MEET YOUR UNIQUE NEEDS. OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE FOR HALF-DAY, ONE-DAY AND TWO-DAY VERSIONS.
Module 1: Introduction TO DELIVERING TOUGH MESSAGES
• Understanding the 3 critical elements of a Truth Talk
• Why speaking the truth is so critical to your organization’s success (and what happens if your organization is less-than-truthful)
• Why people are so afraid to share the truth
• The 8-Step Truth At Work Process
Module 2: Understand the Truth-Killers (or Why We Resist The Truth)
• Discover the biggest reasons why people fail to accept the truth
• Confident Unawareness (and the Dunning-Kruger Effect)
• Perceptual Resistance (and Selective Perception)
• Psychological Resistance (and Cognitive Dissonance)
• Financial Resistance
Module 3: Focus On The Facts
• Learn how every conversation has four layers: Facts, Interpretations, Reactions and Ends (the FIRE Model)
• How to drop all the interpretations, reactions, and ends (IRE, the emotional baggage, judgment, and negativity) to focus on the facts
• How ‘trigger words’ (like ‘always,’ ‘never,’ ‘forever,’ ‘impossible’ and ‘constantly’) can ruin Truth Talks
Module 4: Take Their Perspective
• Discover the science Perspective-taking
• How to climb inside your truth partner’s mind and see the situation from their perspective
• How Perspective-Taking has led to others liking us 19% more and feeling 78% more empathy towards us
Module 5: Set Your Goals
• How 3 bad goals ruin difficult conversations (I Want An Apology, Admit You Were Wrong, Feel Bad For What You Did)
• Discover the 6 Months Later Technique (and the science of Temporal Distancing) to reduce negative emotions and make tough conversations more productive
Module 6: Start A Conversation, Not A Confrontation
• How to use the 5-Step I.D.E.A.S. script to immediately get others to lower their defensiveness and join you in having a true dialogue
• I: Invite them to partner, D: Disarm yourself, E: Eliminate blame, A: Affirm their control, S: Set a time limit
• How the Power Of Questions helps you discover the source of other people’s resistance
Module 7: Create A Word Picture
• Why it’s impossible to have tough conversations when everyone has a different definition of the truth
• The science of creating Word Pictures; a tripartite definition that transforms abstract concepts into concrete examples that anyone can understand
Module 8: Listen With Structure
• Why Structured Listening is so much more powerful than older techniques like active listening
• The 3-Steps to effective Structured Listening: Eliciting, Listening and Confirming
• 7 Bad Phrases that tell others “we’re not listening” including: “Griping about it won’t make it better” and “Maybe it's a blessing in disguise” and “Don't worry, you’ll get over it”
Module 9: Share The Facts
• How to turn backward-looking conversations into Forward-Looking Conversations
• 6 conversations to avoid, including The Compliment Sandwich, Shirking and Advice
• Mastering the phrase “Let’s focus on what we CAN control”
• How to tell when the other person has had a ‘lightbulb moment’
Module 10: Truth at Work: Review
• Applying the 8-Step Truth At Work Process
• How to shorten a Truth Talk when necessary
• When you need to use all 8 steps and when you can skip a few
4 EXTRAORDINARY BENEFITS OF WORKING WITH US!
ELEARNING COURSES TO CONTINUE THE LEARNING
We can use our elearning library (used by some of the top companies in the world) to provide follow-up training modules delivered online that keep the learning alive for attendees! We can even customize a specific curriculum to reinforce the training.
PRE-SURVEY TO ASSESS YOUR LEADERS' NEEDS
We can give attendees a pre-survey or quiz prior to the training. Then we can use the audience’s data right in the training program! This gets the group 100% engaged not only to hear the training but also to see their own data and results!
OPTIONAL 360 ASSESSMENT
Our 360 assessment delivers the most comprehensive reports available and gives your leaders the self-awareness they need to skyrocket their leadership effectiveness! For organizations that are comfortable with 360s, this can be a great enhancement to the training.
PEER-TO-PEER LEARNING GROUPS TO INTERNALIZE YOUR DEVELOPMENT
Leadership Grand Rounds is a monthly peer-to-peer experience that brings together a group of 8 to 10 managers and executives for the purposes of peer-to-peer learning and support. We install this program after the training so that every month your leaders have a forum to keep growing their leadership skills.
Early-Bird Discount for DALLAS expires in:
Early-Bird Discount for CHICAGO expires in: