The Science of Leading Remote Employees (Online 1-Day Seminar with Certificate)
THIS LIVE ONLINE SEMINAR IS SEPTEMBER 14TH, 10:00AM-5:00PM Eastern
Pricing is based on a single login and certificate. One login to attend the online seminar is $649 and additional attendee logins can be purchased for ONLY $100 each (SO INVITE YOUR COLLEAGUES TO ATTEND THIS SPECIAL EVENT). Please contact Jill Sutherland at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with purchasing logins for multiple attendees.
Remote work isn’t going away…but do you have ALL of the skills you need to be a world-class leader of remote employees?
In this 1-day online seminar, you’ll get all the science-backed techniques and tactics from the greatest remote leaders. And you’ll get the CERTIFICATE that proves you have the skills to lead any remote team!
You don’t have the time to ‘reinvent the wheel’—if you follow the step-by-step plans and scripts in this groundbreaking 1-day seminar, you’ll IMMEDIATELY have your remote team more productive, accountable, and engaged!
WHY A CERTIFICATE? To advance your career, and inspire the confidence of your team, you need proof that you’ve learned the most advanced and actionable techniques for leading remote employees. (And it looks GREAT on your LinkedIn profile). And if you’re going to train multiple leaders in your organization, you want to know which leaders have progressed through the necessary training and have the skills to lead remotely. To get your certificate, you'll take a test following the seminar (and because you attended the online seminar, it will be easy for you to pass with flying colors)!
HOW THIS SEMINAR WORKS: The online seminar runs from 10:00AM-5:00PM Eastern (that’s 9:00AM-4:00PM Central, 8:00AM-3:00PM Mountain, and 7:00AM-2:00PM Pacific). It’s live, so you’ll be interacting and asking questions throughout the day. There are 7 MODULES, and there’s a 10-minute break at the end of each module, PLUS a 40-minute lunch break. This is the best practice technique for keeping you alert and engaged throughout the training day.
YOUR PRESENTER: This course is personally taught by Mark Murphy, CEO of Leadership IQ, a New York Times bestselling author, and a Senior Contributor at Forbes. OVER ONE MILLION LEADERS have read Mark’s research and techniques on leading remote employees. Don’t miss your chance to interact personally with one of the world’s leading experts on remote leadership!
HERE'S THE DETAILED AGENDA:
MODULE #1: HOW THE GREATEST REMOTE LEADERS THINK DIFFERENTLY ABOUT LEADERSHIP
There are 6 leadership mindsets you’re going to need to effectively lead remote employees, and they require a ‘thinking shift’ compared to leading face-to-face. In this module, you’ll discover:
- The 6 Leadership Mindsets that the greatest remote leaders have (and how you can develop them immediately)
- Why the body-in-seat mentality is so harmful to remote working (and how you can stop it with a one sentence policy)
- The 4 Biggest Fears that managers have about their employees when they go remote (and why those fears are the wrong ones to worry about)
- The 5-Question Empowering Test to assess whether your leadership style is ready to manage employees you can’t see face-to-face
- The 3 Questions your ‘Work From Home Policy’ needs to answer (with real-life examples)
- How to adopt a ‘Write Once Read Many’ mindset (and stop trying to creating processes with endless chains of emails)
- The difference between Asynchronous vs. Synchronous Working and which one you need to use with remote teams
MODULE #2: BUILDING AN EMOTIONALLY HEALTHY REMOTE TEAM (AND PREVENTING REMOTE WORKING BURNOUT)
Nearly three-quarters of remote employees experience burnout from working remotely, but with some research-backed interventions, you can keep your remote employees highly engaged, motivated, and emotionally-healthy. In this module, you’ll discover:
- The 5-Part Script For 1:1 Meetings with remote employees to monitor and improve their emotional well-being (including the optimal frequency for your meetings)
- 2 Personality Types That Struggle With Working Remotely and how you can solve their fears
- The 7-Question Burnout Test you’ll give to every employee to immediately assess their current burnout levels
- The 5 Words That Indicate Employees Are Burned Out and how to spot these words in daily conversations
- 3 Virtual Teambuilding Exercisesto keep your employees feeling connected and prevent isolation
- The 6-Part Monday Afternoon Meeting you need to initiate to increase employees’ resilience by teaching them how to anticipate and solve upcoming roadblocks so their frustration doesn’t spiral into hopelessness and burnout
- The 6-Part Friday Morning Meeting you need to initiate to increase employees’ optimism and positivity by making them reflect on successes from the week and learning how to incorporate those accomplishments into their daily routine
MODULE #3: BUILDING ACCOUNTABILITY WHEN YOU CAN’T SEE YOUR TEAM
The greatest fear leaders have about remote employees is how to ensure they’re accountable and working productively. But with some innovative techniques, you’ll keep remote employees fully accountable and productive. In this module, you’ll discover:
- How to use Apple’s ‘Directly Responsible Individual’ Model to ensure maximum accountability while still giving employees more autonomy
- Discover exactly how much freedom you should give employees with Amazon’s ‘One-Way vs Two-Way Door Model’ and Leadership IQ’s ‘Levels Of Freedom Checklist’
- The Ideal Weekly Meeting Rhythm to keep your team accountable and productive
- How to use ‘Minimally Viable Components’ to make delegating easier and faster (while still maintaining sufficient control over deliverables)
- How the Word Pictures Tool ensures that every remote employee has crystal-clear expectations about their performance and knows exactly when their performance is falling short
- The 1-Question Daily Accountability Exercise that employees will use every morning that drastically increases their productivity and holds them accountable for delivering concrete results
MODULE #4: MASTERING VIRTUAL MEETINGS
Every remote employee has suffered from ‘zoom fatigue’ and burnout from poorly-run virtual meetings, but with the right techniques, virtual meetings can be productive, engaging, and even more effective than face-to-face meetings. In this module, you’ll discover:
- 5 Questions To Use During Virtual Meetings to keep your team engaged, participating (and NOT checking their emails during your meeting)
- 6-Part Virtual Meeting Checklist that you need to use for every virtual meeting
- How to conduct a No-Homework Meeting that keeps EVERYONE actively engaged and awake throughout the ENTIRE meeting
- The Perfect Agenda Template for virtual meetings
- 3 Rules For Talking In Virtual Meetings including handling interruptions, crosstalk, annoying reverb, and more
- 3 tools for keeping meetings with strong personalities disciplined and on-topic
- Why you should avoid hybrid meetings (where some employees are remote and others are in a conference room)
- Inexpensive secrets for great lighting,backdrops, microphones and more
- How to implement the 3-part Virtual Meeting Achievement Checklist that makes every meeting 17 minutes shorter
MODULE #5: REMOTE WORKING PRODUCTIVITY HACKS FOR BOTH LEADERS AND EMPLOYEES
The world’s top freelancers have pioneered a toolkit of productivity hacks for working remotely, and you’ll master their techniques for achieving breakthrough productivity while working (and leading) remotely. In this module, you’ll discover:
- How to quickly master Time-Chunking to achieve optimal efficiency when working remotely (and how to teach this skill to your remote employees)
- The Weekly Productivity Map used by many of the most successful remote workers (including top freelancers and creatives)
- 3 Barriers that work-from-home employees need to create to keep them productive and emotionally healthy
- Discover your most value-adding activities (called Green Light Work) and learn how to eliminate the non-essential work (including Yellow Light, Orange Light and Red Light Work)
- The latest time tracking apps you should use to measure just how effectively you’re using your time
- How to overcome the psychological barriers to delegating (including ego, doubt and competence) so you’ve got many more resources to share your workload
- Quick tricks to give your employees to make their technology work faster & better, including how to speed-up their home WIFI, reducing echoes on conferencing systems, and more
MODULE #6: TAKING THE PAIN OUT OF FEEDBACK CONVERSATIONS WITH REMOTE EMPLOYEES
Even though your employees are remote, you still need to deliver corrective feedback to help them improve. But when people are remote, you need to take extra care to ensure that the conversations are focused on making positive changes (and are not demoralizing). In this module, you’ll discover:
- How to invite remote employees via email to have a conversation about their performance WITHOUT causing them massive anxiety (if you call them cold and start delivering constructive feedback the conversation will go VERY BADLY)
- One question you need to ask remote employees to turn this from a confrontation into a conversation
- How to use a shared screen to outline crystal-clear performance expectations (BONUS: you’ll get a template you can use in a Google Doc to pinpoint your employee’s EXACT performance issue and how to fix it)
- 6-step script for delivering tough feedback without making the recipient defensive (and exactly where you need to insert pauses to allow the conversation to proceed over the phone or video conference)
- The shocking study on the ‘Negativity Bias’ that shows how negative information has a bigger impact on the brain and how you can use this insight to deliver constructive feedback WITHOUT putting your employees into a Despair Spiral
- Why it’s so critical to give remote employees an immediate PATH TO REDEMPTION when you give them corrective feedback
- 2 Sentences to start a video conference coaching call that puts your employees in a positive frame-of-mind
MODULE #7: HIRING FOR ATTITUDE REMOTELY
Hiring is one of the most essential leadership skills, but doing it remotely presents new challenges. From mastering video interviews to using attitudinal screening questions to assessing candidates' language to reveal their attitude, you'll learn all the necessary techniques to select the best candidates even when they’re remote. In this module, you’ll discover:
- The script to use when starting video interviews to immediately relax candidates and get them to share openly (to reveal their true attitudes)
- The best-performing phone screening questions to help you assess whether you should move candidates to the next phase (and invest time in further interviews)
- The 5-part interview question that reveals if people are “coachable” (and that famously asks candidates to spell the last name of their previous boss)
- The interview question that tests whether candidates can handle working remotely
- 6 words that ruin behavioral interview questions when you’re trying to hire for attitude
- How to avoid giving candidates the 'right' answer to interview questions during video interviews
- Why you should never ask “tell me about yourself” or “what are your strengths/weaknesses”
- New textual science that shows you how candidates’ pronouns, verb tenses, and adverbs reveal if they’re a high or low performer
Through his groundbreaking research, Mark Murphy has created some of the biggest ideas in leadership. He’s a New York Times bestselling author, a FORBES Senior Contributor, ranked as a Top 30 Leadership Guru, and the Founder of Leadership IQ.
He’s trained leaders at the United Nations, Harvard Business School, Microsoft, MasterCard, SHRM, and hundreds more.
Mark leads one of the world’s largest leadership skills studies, and his work has appeared in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Fortune, Forbes, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, and U.S. News & World Report. Mark has also appeared on CNN, NPR, CBS News Sunday Morning, ABC’s 20/20, and Fox Business News.