What Great Communicators Do Differently 6-Week Online Certificate Program [JUNE 27TH]
SESSION START DATE: June 27, 2022
SESSION END DATE: August 7, 2022
Great communication skill drives career success in today's organizations! Your ability to communicate, persuade, speak, write and present will drive whether you reach your full career potential.
A whopping 93% of leaders think they're effective communicators - yet only 11% of their employees agree! No matter how smart you are, if you can't practice successful communication, your career will limited.
This 6-week communication skills training course is for senior executives, managers, HR leaders, sales & marketing leaders, entrepreneurs, very high-potential professionals, and anyone whose career depends on being an elite communicator. You’ll master communication styles, charisma, listening, writing, presenting, being diplomatic, and more!
BRIEF OUTLINE OF THE 6 WEEK COURSE
- Week 1: Master The 4 Communication Styles To Persuade & Influence Every Person
- Week 2: The Secrets Of Killer Presentations
- Week 3: The Psychological Tactics Of Great Listening
- Week 4: The Art Of Communicating Diplomatically & Tactfully
- Week 5: Power Writing Secrets From A New York Times Bestseller
- Week 6: The Science Of Increasing Your Charisma, Presence & Confidence
STARTING THE WEEK OF MAY 9TH, you’re going to take 1 course per week for 6 weeks. (You are not required to login at any set time, so each week you may work on the courses at times that work best for your schedule). Each week, you’ll watch approximately 1-hour of a video course, and then complete one assignment to hardwire your learnings and take one brief quiz to ensure you learned that week’s content. You can expect to spend around 2 hours per week between the videos and the coursework.
You may work ahead and you will not be penalized for falling behind, but ALL MODULES, ASSIGNMENTS AND QUIZZES MUST BE COMPLETED BY 11:59 PM (PST) ON THE FINAL DAY OF THE PROGRAM. The final day of the program is June 19, 2022. This is a 6-week program and certificates will not be issued if all coursework is not completed by the deadline.
WHAT IF MY COLLEAGUES WANT TO ATTEND? If your colleagues want to participate, that's great! We offer GROUP DISCOUNTS for groups of 5 or more leaders from the same organization. Simply contact Jill Sutherland (Director of Client Services) at 800-814-7859 or firstname.lastname@example.org
HERE'S THE PROGRAM CURRICULUM
Each course in the communication skills training program includes approximately 1-hour of video presentation. In addition to the video modules, each week will include one assignment to ensure you learned that week's content. Each participant can expect to spend around 2 hours per week on viewing the video course and coursework. Here is a listing of all the courses in the communication training What Great Communicators Do Differently.
WEEK 1: MASTER THE 4 COMMUNICATION STYLES TO PERSUADE & INFLUENCE EVERY PERSON
Have you ever talked to someone but it’s like they didn’t hear a word you said? It’s typically because you used the wrong communication style! Some people like communicating with lots of data while others prefer to focus on feelings. Some like conversations that go step-by-step while others jump right to the end.
Picking the wrong communication style for a person or audience can ruin your ability to get heard. The greatest speechwriters in history have tailored their messages to their audiences, and in WEEK 1, you’ll learn their secrets PLUS the modern-day science of communication styles. You’ll discover:
- How to quickly discover the unique communication styles of investors, colleagues, bosses, customers, and more
- The 1-Question that immediately reveals someone’s communication style
- Specific scripts & techniques for tailoring your message to all 4 types of communication styles (Analytical, Personal, Functional and Intuitive)
- The Multipathing Model used by great speechwriters to speak to a room filled with different communication styles
- How to identify and speak to ‘process-driven’ people who like the nitty-gritty detail
- How to identify and speak to ‘big picture’ people who don’t want lots of detail
- How to identify and speak to ‘analytical’ people who want data, hard numbers, and dislike that ‘warm-and-fuzzy’ stuff
- How to identify and speak to people that are warm and chatty ‘feelers’
- The shocking data on effective communication styles from over 1 million leaders and professionals
WEEK 2: THE SECRETS OF KILLER PRESENTATIONS
When you have to make a presentation, don't you wish you could morph into a presenter like the late Steve Jobs for the hour? Think how great it would feel to have your audience riveted, hanging on your every word. AND it's a fact of life that the best presenters get more money, budget, promotions and attention in the workplace.
In WEEK 2, you'll learn the latest presentation skills and public speaking secrets from neurologists, visual designers, speech writers and psychologists, PLUS how to deliver killer presentations BOTH IN-PERSON and VIRTUALLY. You'll discover:
- How CEOs of Apple, Google and Starbucks deliver killer presentations in just one sentence (using the science of Concrete Language)
- A strange Japanese presentation technique that makes your presentations 3 times shorter and twice as memorable
- 3 rhetorical techniques that sear your message into your audience's brains (including how many times you need to repeat your point before your audience remembers it)
- How a new presentation format called "Assertion-Evidence" makes your slides 11% more memorable
- 2 new web-based presentation technologies that are way slicker than PowerPoint (and will have your audience amazed)
- 4 questions you need to ask your virtual audience to keep them engaged and paying attention
- 3 changes you need to make when you’re presenting virtually AND inexpensive secrets for great lighting, backdrops, microphones and more
- A neurological trick call Spatial Cueing that makes your increases your audience’s retention by 75%
WEEK 3: THE PSYCHOLOGICAL TACTICS OF GREAT LISTENING
If you want to succeed in the executive suite, leadership, sales, customer service, or anywhere that involves interacting with people, you need effective listening skills. And listening skills (especially listening empathically) are one of the biggest drivers of charisma and interpersonal communication. BUT the average person retains only 10% of what they hear. Only 30% of leaders currently listen with empathy. One study found that physicians stop listening 18 seconds after a patient starts speaking. Another found that salespeople stop listening 21 seconds after a prospect starts talking.
In WEEK 3, you’ll learn the groundbreaking Structured Listening approach (including the listening techniques that clinical psychologists and behavioral investigators use). You’ll discover:
- How a cognitive listening technique called Perspective-Taking leads to others feeling 78% more empathy towards us
- Discover the science of Perspective-Taking, and how it differs from sympathy, active listening, and more
- How to use Temporal Distancing to stop yourself from getting angry and making snap judgements
- Why Structured Listening is so much more powerful than older techniques like active listening
- The 3-Steps to effective Structured Listening: Eliciting, Listening and Confirming
- The Seven Phrases you should NEVER use when you’re listening to someone
- The Two Tests that determine whether you’ve truly heard what other people are saying
- 4 types of probing questions that direct people to share and reveal their deeper issues (Factual, Emotional, Direct, Indirect)
- 1 question that stops people from rambling, but redirects them and can still keep them talking
- Why paraphrasing can make people angry, and what you should do instead
- 3-step process for resolving misunderstandings or when you misheard what they were saying)
WEEK 4: THE ART OF COMMUNICATING DIPLOMATICALLY & TACTFULLY
Have you ever been told that your communication is a little too aggressive? OR have you ever gotten stuck trying to talk about tough issues because you were so worried about offending someone?
In WEEK 4, you'll learn science and specific techniques for communicating with diplomacy and tact while still delivering even tough messages. Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk and Steve Jobs can get away with being 'rough around the edges' and lacking interpersonal skills, but unless you're going to invent Amazon, Tesla or the iPhone, you can't get away with being seen as harsh or brusque. More than just emotional intelligence, you'll discover the specific interpersonal communication skills, scripts and words that create diplomacy and tact, including:
- 7 Trigger Words that immediately make people angry (and what you should say instead)
- 5 Diplomacy Words that soften your message and reduce people’s anger and defensiveness
- How the “Yes And” technique allows you to disagree with someone while still being incredibly nice and diplomatic
- 4-Step Script for saying “No” without alienating your colleagues
- The 2-sentences that stop will you from arguing with people (even when you’re getting annoyed or angry)
- The 1-sentence that immediately increases your likeability by 19%
- How a specific type of compliment called “positive labeling” can radically improve people’s behavior and increase their trust in you
- 3-Step Script to apologize sincerely and restore the relationship when your communication process has gotten too aggressive
- The 1 Question you need to ask when you’re about to start a difficult conversation to immediately lower the other person’s defensiveness
WEEK 5: POWER WRITING SECRETS FROM A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
Around 50% of professionals have poor writing skills, and it's not all about punctuation. Written communications (e.g. memos, emails, reports) that are vague or unclear send a message that you can't communicate well, embrace sloppiness, and fail to focus on details. And let's face it, the best writers win the most promotions, land the biggest clients, sell that big idea, and more.
In WEEK 5, you'll learn the most important tricks and techniques to immediately improve, trim and clarify your writing. You'll get the writing techniques that I've used to become a New York Times bestselling author and publish over 300 Forbes articles. You'll discover:
- 5 question quiz that judges the professionalism of your writing
- Build a "structure pyramid" that assists in building a more logical argument (and eliminates all the extraneous fluff)
- Answer every reader's main question (i.e., "why do I care about this") in your very first paragraph
- 1 trick that will help you instantly catch more typos, poorly-constructed sentences and illogical arguments
- Why the "passive voice" will make your writing boring, pedantic and unclear, and how you can transform everything into the "active voice"
- Be a compelling storyteller, even in seemingly boring documents
- 2 quick tests that pinpoint where critical content is buried and spotlight places where you can best make your ideas leap off the page
- How "writing in scenarios" forces elimination of run-on sentences and obtuse language, while staying in the active voice and using more action verbs
- Which logical structure is best for your writing: Problem/Solution, Compare/Contrast or Chronological
- How to tell if your document has a clear and compelling point (and how to write one if it doesn't)
- 3 steps to streamline your writing (eliminating "dead weight" sentences, avoiding "of" phrases, and more)
- Quickly spot and correct sentence fragments and run-on sentences
WEEK 6: THE SCIENCE OF INCREASING YOUR CHARISMA, PRESENCE & CONFIDENCE
You can learn charisma, presence and confidence; you don’t need to have been born lucky. In fact, there are specific science-based techniques that will dramatically increase your ability to command attention, project confidence and exude charisma.
If you’re willing to change a few specific behaviors, you will immediately see a difference in how others treat you. Even if you’re a natural introvert and lack the “gift of gab” you can experience dramatic improvements. In WEEK 6, you’ll discover:
- How to change the intonation of your voice to create more charisma and personal connection
- The exact seconds you need to pause before speaking to create a greater executive presence
- Body language techniques (including nonverbal cues like head nodding, hand positioning, and posture) that will immediately improve how others think about you
- How to make others feel incredible by mastering a 3-Part Mindfulness exercise that keeps you fully immersed in every conversation (and stops your mind from wandering)
- How the science of “social signaling” can help you harness the power of your social network to drastically increase your stature and success
- The training technique that clinical psychologists use to significantly improve their "presence," confidence and nonverbal communication, and how you can apply it immediately (just by using the camera on your phone)
- Undoing the 5 “self-limiting beliefs” that ruin your confidence and charisma
- The 3-Part Script for authentic flattery that increases everyone’s positive feelings about you (and thus increases your charisma and influence)
HOW THIS PROGRAM WORKS: The program is set up at a pace of 1 course per week. You are not required to login at any set time so you may work on the courses at times that works best for your schedule. You may work ahead and you will not be penalized for falling behind, but ALL MODULES, ASSIGNMENTS AND QUIZZES MUST BE COMPLETED BY 11:59 PM (PST) ON THE FINAL DAY OF THE PROGRAM. The final day of the program is August 7, 2022. This is a 6-week program and certificates will not be issued if all coursework is not completed by the deadline.
HOW DO I REGISTER? Simply click the red "Register" button to purchase your registration and secure your spot in the course. Each registration is for a single user only. Please contact Jill Sutherland at email@example.com if you are interested in registering multiple participants. THE PROGRAM START DATE IS MONDAY, JUNE 27TH. On Friday, June 24th, each participant will receive an email with their login information to access the course.
DO I GET CEU'S? While we don't formally offer a specific accredited CEU/PDU (because there are so many different state & professional associations), many of our attendees will send the program description to their particular accrediting body and apply to have that training hour(s) counted. We hear that many of our attendees have been successful with that approach. THIS PROGRAM DELIVERS 6 CONTACT/COURSE HOURS.
BENEFITS OF LEADERSHIP IQ PROGRAMS: Our programs are based on research and taught by the expert. The courses in the What Great Communicators Do Differently Certificate Program are backed by our cutting-edge leadership research featured in Fortune, Forbes, Business Week, U.S. News & World Report, The Wall Street Journal, ABC News, CNN, NPR & more. Each video is taught by Mark Murphy. He is a New York Times bestselling author, a FORBES Senior Contributor, ranked as a Top 30 Leadership Guru, and the Founder of Leadership IQ. Mark has lectured at The United Nations, Harvard Business School, Microsoft, MasterCard, and more.
WHY A CERTIFICATE? To advance your career, and inspire the confidence of your team, you need proof that you’ve learned What Great Communicators Do Differently. (And it looks GREAT on your LinkedIn profile and resume). And if you’re going to train multiple leaders in your organization, you want to know which leaders have progressed through the necessary training and have the skills to lead and coach successfully. To get your certificate, you'll take a test following the 6-week program (and because you watched all the program modules, it will be easy for you to pass with flying colors)!
HOW DO I GET MY CERTIFICATE? To receive your certificate in What Great Communicators Do Differently, you must complete all modules and assignments and pass all quizzes. A score of at least 70% is required to pass the quiz for each course - multiple attempts are permitted. Certificates will be sent electronically via email within 7 business days of course completion.