The Psychological Strategies & Tactics Of The Greatest Leaders (Online 1-Day Seminar with Certificate)
THIS LIVE ONLINE SEMINAR IS OCTOBER 26TH, 10:00AM-5:20PM Eastern
Pricing is based on a single login and certificate. One login to attend the online seminar is $649 and additional attendee logins can be purchased for ONLY $200 each (SO INVITE YOUR COLLEAGUES TO ATTEND THIS SPECIAL EVENT). Please contact Jill Sutherland at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with purchasing logins for multiple attendees.
Are you ready for the ADVANCED TECHNIQUES to be more influential, charismatic, persuasive, inspiring, and powerful? The greatest leaders have achieved this by using a powerful set of psychological strategies and tactics.
[NOTE: Many of the strategies and tactics that we'll be teaching in this seminar have WON MULTIPLE NOBEL PRIZES because they are so powerful at influencing people].
In this 1-day online seminar, you’ll get the ADVANCED science-backed techniques and psychological science from the greatest leaders!
You'll get ADVANCED SKILLS for communicating and persuading...
...for stopping and resolving conflict...
...for making every employee self-aware and accountable...
...for coaching instead of managing...
...harnessing the unique motivations of high performers...
...for discovering the best power style for you...
...and so much more! [SEE THE FULL DETAILED AGENDA BELOW]
And you’ll get the CERTIFICATE that proves you have the skills to lead any group of employees!
This is NOT an introductory course, so be ready to learn the cutting-edge science behind WHY the greatest leaders are so persuasive, inspiring, and powerful. [SEE THE FULL DETAILED AGENDA BELOW]
WHY A CERTIFICATE? To advance your career, and inspire the confidence of your team, you need proof that you’ve learned the most advanced and actionable psychological techniques for leading people. (And it looks GREAT on your LinkedIn profile). And if you’re going to train multiple leaders in your organization, you want to know which leaders have progressed through the necessary training and have the skills of the greatest leaders. To get your certificate, you'll take a test following the seminar (and because you attended the online seminar, it will be easy for you to pass with flying colors)! PLEASE NOTE: Because this is a certificate course, attendees cannot join late or leave early.
HOW THIS SEMINAR WORKS: The online seminar runs from 10:00AM-5:20PM Eastern (that’s 9:00AM-4:20PM Central, 8:00AM-3:20PM Mountain, and 7:00AM-2:20PM Pacific). It’s live, so you’ll be interacting and asking questions throughout the day. There are 7 MODULES, and there’s a 10-minute break at the end of each module, PLUS a 40-minute lunch break. This is the best practice technique for keeping you alert and engaged throughout the training day.
- YOUR PRESENTER: This course is personally taught by Mark Murphy, CEO of Leadership IQ, a New York Times bestselling author, and a Senior Contributor at Forbes. OVER FOUR MILLION LEADERS have read Mark’s research and techniques on the science of great leadership. Don’t miss your chance to interact personally with one of the world’s leading experts on leadership!
HERE'S THE DETAILED AGENDA:
MODULE #1: INSTILLING ACCOUNTABILITY & SELF-AWARENESS INTO EVERY EMPLOYEE
The greatest leaders don’t stress about “holding people accountable” because their people internalize and adopt accountability, great attitudes, and the right behaviors. But this doesn’t happen by accident…it’s because these leaders know how to set the exact right expectations for everyone and make that part of their daily routines. In this module, you’ll learn…
- The Word Pictures™ Tool, behavioral descriptions that set crystal-clear behavioral expectations, distinguish between high and low performers and hardwire accountability
- How to use Word Pictures to instill accountability & self-awareness, revamp your performance reviews, teach employees, set high standards, and more! (Caesar’s Palace used our Word Pictures to set new standards in customer service for all their hotel & casino employees, and immediately thereafter, scored their highest customer satisfaction scores ever)!
- How to use Word Pictures to create a 3-part set of standards, called Needs Work (to describe poor behaviors), Good Work, and Great Work (to describe high performer behaviors)
- How Word Pictures can break through the ignorance & arrogance of employees who think they’re amazing but really need lots of improvement (without damaging them psychologically)
- You’ll actually get a real-life set of Word Pictures to get you started, so you’ll be able to teach employees Accountability, Positive Attitude, Customer Service, Accuracy and more!
MODULE #2: GIVING TOUGH FEEDBACK WITHOUT MAKING PEOPLE ANGRY
According to a Leadership IQ study, 81% of managers have avoided confronting a subordinate about inappropriate behavior, even when a customer or the organization suffered as a result. The most successful leaders know that the only way to grow and succeed is to give tough feedback in a way that people actually listen and change. You’ll learn how to "speak the truth" and give tough feedback in a way that doesn't make people defensive or angry. So in this module, you’ll learn…
- 6-step script for delivering tough feedback without making the recipient defensive
- Why Cognitive Dissonance and the Dunning-Kruger Effect prevent employees from hearing tough feedback and how you can work around them
- How to delayer your conversations in 4 parts (Facts, Interpretations, Reactions, Ends) and learn which pieces you should and shouldn’t share
- Why you should never use “I statements”
- 4-step script for delivering tough feedback when you have a bad relationship with the recipient
- 1-sentence that opens and deescalates tough conversations
- 4-Question Quiz for testing whether you’re making people defensive with blaming and loaded language
- Why you should never use a “compliment sandwich”
MODULE #3: CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG? THE SCIENCE OF RESOLVING CONFLICT
From the pandemic, to employee stress, to politics, to social media, people are stressed…and it’s making workplace conflicts more emotional and difficult! And worse, lots of outdated tools for handling conflict (like spilling your feelings via “I Statements”) leave listeners feeling manipulated and everyone still goes away mad. In this module, you’ll learn…
- 7 trigger words that immediately inflame conflict (and what you should say instead)
- The Redirection Script for teaching employees to manage their own conflict without you having to mediate every single conflict
- The latest research from neurologists on how conflict impairs cognitive functioning and what you can do about it
- Where you should sit/stand when you’re mediating conflict between two employees
- 1 question to ask your employees that protects you from getting sucked into taking sides and playing favorites
- Why the phrase “let’s calm down” always backfires and how you can actually bring emotions down to a manageable level
- The 5 most common conflict management styles, and the strengths/weaknesses of each
- How to ensure that employees actually resolve the underlying issues rather than avoiding issues and letting them fester (only to blow up later)
- The 2-sentences that stop conflict in meetings and how to refocus your meetings when it happens
MODULE #4: DO MORE COACHING AND LESS MANAGING
Most likely, the best leaders you’ve ever had did much more “coaching” than “managing.” They didn’t just tell you what to do, or criticize you for messing up, or push aside to do the work themselves (things often equated with managing). Instead, they listened to your ideas, challenged you to learn and grow, served as your sounding board, and took the time to discover what really makes you tick. In other words, coaching. In this module, you’ll learn…
6-question test to assess if you (and your managers) have the “coaching mindset”
- 3 drivers of trust between manager and employee (and how to use that to build a coaching relationship)
- How to guide employees to set goals that they can get passionate about
- How to use Fact-Based Listening to stop yourself from making snap judgments or getting irritated
- 3 sentences you should say at the beginning of your coaching sessions with employees
- 5-step process (based on rational emotive behavior therapy) that helps employees overcome self-limiting and irrational beliefs
- How to stop using feedback (which focuses on rehashing past history) and instead use Constructive Dialogue (which focuses on changing the future)
- How “gestalt communication” can prevent leaders from immediately giving orders to employees (and how they can encourage employees to share ideas and solve problems for themselves)
MODULE #5: HOW TO INSPIRE AND RETAIN YOUR HIGH PERFORMERS
If your best employee quit tomorrow, how painful would your life be? Every leader needs to get serious about the possibility of their best employee(s) quitting, because one of our most famous studies discovered that in 42% of companies, high performers are LESS engaged than low performers! And the psychology of high performers is different than your other employees. High performers will typically have more Achievement and Adventure drivers, and less Affiliation and Security drivers, than average employees. So in this module, you’ll learn…
- The 3 psychological drivers that high performers have (that middle and low performers often lack)
- What to do when your high performers seem "maxed out" and a 3-question test to assess your high performer’s burnout
- The 4-part "retention" conversation script and the best time and place to hold that conversation (using our famous Shoves & Tugs model)
- 2 phrases that high performers say when they’re hiding the truth about what’s demotivating them
- How to Map the Motivations of each of your high performers (using the free 5-Driving Needs Assessment)
- The 1-question that will get high performers to reveal the exact issue that’s causing them the most frustration right now
- The psychological bias that is causing leaders to not compliment high performers enough and how to overcome it
- Why most goal-setting approaches fail miserably with high performers
- The 1 Corporate Culture Type that high performers like the best
MODULE #6: HOW TO SPEAK SO EVERYONE LISTENS
When you speak, does everyone listen? Do people hang on your every word? OR, do you connect with some people but not others? A whopping 93% of leaders think they are effective communicators – yet only 11% of their employees agree. That’s a huge problem for leaders, because communication skills drive career success in today’s organizations. In this module, you’ll learn:
- The 4 types of communication styles (Analytical, Personal, Functional and Intuitive) and how to speak to every one
- How to speak to a room filled with different communication styles (called Multipathing)
- 3 tricks for when you and your boss have different communication styles
- How to identify and speak to ‘process-driven’ people who like the nitty-gritty detail
- How to identify and speak to ‘big picture’ people who don’t want lots of detail
- How to identify and speak to ‘analytical’ people who want data, hard numbers, and dislike that ‘warm-and-fuzzy’ stuff
- How to identify and speak to people that are warm and chatty ‘feelers’
- 5 words to say when the other person isn’t listening to you
- The biggest way your communication needs to change when you’re speaking to 1 person vs. groups
MODULE #7: HOW TO (NICELY) GAIN POWER & INFLUENCE
Whether you’re enlisting support from your boss, executives in other divisions, managers who are getting in your way, employees, board members, unions, etc., this module will help you understand how best to attract supporters to your cause and leverage your undiscovered power to motivate them to action. You’ll learn the 7 sources of power and which ones work in today’s modern organizations. You’ll also learn how to identify your hidden sources of power and leverage them for greater effectiveness. In this module, you’ll learn…
- The 7 sources of power (legitimate, coercive, reward, referent, connection, expert, informational) and which power sources YOU should be using
- 4 common mistakes that instantly make you LESS influential (and how to avoid them)
- Learn how to influence each of the 5 major personality types (with specific do’s and don’ts for each type)
- How to rewrite your message depending on the personality you’re talking to
- Diagnose whether someone is likely to be your champion or antagonist
- How to build support (and effectively convert the people that don’t support you)
- 3 sources of power you didn’t know you had (and how to start using them)
- Develop influence in flat or matrix organizational structures
- Understand the difference between the Attraction and Power approaches to influence
Through his groundbreaking research, Mark Murphy has created some of the biggest ideas in leadership. He’s a New York Times bestselling author, a FORBES Senior Contributor, ranked as a Top 30 Leadership Guru, and the Founder of Leadership IQ.
He’s trained leaders at the United Nations, Harvard Business School, Microsoft, MasterCard, SHRM, and hundreds more.
Mark leads one of the world’s largest leadership skills studies, and his work has appeared in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Fortune, Forbes, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, and U.S. News & World Report. Mark has also appeared on CNN, NPR, CBS News Sunday Morning, ABC’s 20/20, and Fox Business News.